Monday, August 11, 2008

August 11, 2008

Today was surgery #21. It never get’s any easier, just more familiar.

We spent the weekend in the mountains drowning worms to get Garrett’s mind off of the impending date with the surgeon. God brought us some much needed rain while we were there, but it didn’t dampen our spirits, only the ground. Garrett and Jessi made quite a discovery up there. He brought me back a few “cool looking rocks”. They were actually flint chips, which are created when the Indians were flint knapping tools and arrow heads. I had him take me to where he found them and we did a little digging. Our archaeological adventure turned up quite a few flint chips, a few small arrow heads and a broken flint knife. The kids got quite a kick out of digging for these when they understood that their ancestors (Ute Indian Tribe) may have camped along the river near where we found these.

The weekend was a good routine breaker because Garrett had his date with the surgeon this morning for another biopsy. It was needed to ensure that everything is still going as it should be. He was scared, but cowboy’d up just like the little warrior he is. I carried him to the operating table, same as I have some 20 other times. And just as I have the other times, I wiped the 1st tear off of his cheek and rubbed it on my own. I can’t take his pain and fear from him, but at least I can help carry his tears.

The doctor came out a short while ago and told us that visually, everything looked good. They got several good “bites” from inside his heart. Afterward, Jessi made the most incredible comment. She said the doctor "didn't look sad this time”. She remembered the look on his face when he came out in February to tell us Garrett was dying. She is an amazing little girl.

Tomorrow we should have the results of the biopsy. If all goes well, we should get to take him home tonight, because they only have to go in through the groin area instead of opening him clear up. He’ll have to stay relatively calm for a few days, but God willing, will be up and aggravating his sister within a day or two.

As I sit here next to him while he sleeps in the recovery room, I can’t help but think of how fortunate I am and how I appreciate all of the continued prayers and intentions. We have so much to be grateful for this year, even though the journey is far from complete. The love and friendship of so many continue to humble me daily, and I will never tire thanking our Lord Jesus for the blessings I truly don’t deserve.

Until next time, may He shine upon your path, keep your horses gentle and keep your tanks full.

God bless,

JD

No comments: