Tuesday, April 22, 2008

March 24, 2008

March 24, 2008

Garrett had a good weekend, with all of us rejoicing in an extra exciting Easter. We had some very special friends drop in for a visit, got to go to church right here in the room, and the Easter Bunny still found us all the way up here. Jessi was especially excited to find some cotton from his tail that had apparently shed off during his nocturnal visit. Pretty cool! They even had an Easter egg hunt during a rare venture away from the Ronald McDonald house. Their laughter will never win a Grammy, but I’ve never heard a more beautiful sound.

Monday’s return to reality came in the form of another clinic visit/check up. Garrett has lost a little more weight, but is still only a few pounds lighter than before his transplant. The transplant team is not overly concerned as long as he does not continue to lose weight. Everything else looks really good though, and we stay cautiously optimistic. His energy level remains excellent, and sometimes he even gets a little impatient that he can’t run and play hard yet. All good signs that he’s not spending much time looking back.

Tonight at bedtime though, Garrett was asking me about heaven. He asked so many questions I just don’t have the answers to. I searched my heart to find comforting words for him. Little boys and girls just shouldn’t have to think about death and what comes after. He gets a little scared sometimes and I see some of the same fears in his momma and sister, even as I try to hide my own. Daddy is supposed to be the tough one, and I wish I could take all of their uncertainties about the future and sweep them into my shirt pocket to carry for them. He is such a tough little cowboy.

I’m so grateful to all of you who continue to pray for and send notes to him. The other day, one of Garrett’s little friends from home brought him a box full of money he’d collected at his dad’s restaurant. This little guy sat all evening by this box and asked customers to help Garrett. Garrett was so excited to see his buddy, and the boys really had a time playing video games together. Things like that, and the little girl who gave her only penny to Garrett….. The little ones continue to lead the way for us.

Keep the prayers coming when you can. We can feel them and they are working.

Blessings to you all,

JD

No comments: