Monday, June 7, 2010

Birthday Boy

Tomorrow morning at about 1000 am, our beautiful little warrior will celebrate 11 years of victory! Actually, a little more.

On March 31, 1999 Kathy and I learned that the baby she was carrying had a sick heart. For 4088 days we have fought and prayed and rejoiced in each day our Lord has let us share our time on His earth with this wonderful child warrior. The littlest cowboy is getting big.

I'm writing this now because I won't be writing tomorrow. The doctors told us today that although Garrett's heart is not showing any signs of improvement, it's not getting worse either. What we are excited about is that his immune system is showing signs of getting stronger, so we can take him to a Rockies' game for his birthday. So tomorrow night, we'll be eating dogs and cheering our favorite baseball team.

Tonight when I got home, I was overwhelmed at the look of the place. So many kind folks cleaned and painted and planted flowers over the weekend. I can't wait for Kathy to see it, hopefully soon! I looked around and could not believe that such a sinful man as I could receive such blessings I purely don't deserve. But I am so grateful! As I was looking through the house, I knocked a picture from the wall in the kids' room. When I picked it up, I found a note on the back of it that I'd written to Garrett just days before he got his first heart in 2000, and days after they'd opened him up to band his arteries to buy him more time. At the time I wrote it, Garrett was in intensive care at the Children's Hospital. I'd like to share it.

January 14, 2000
To My Son Garrett-
Your mommy & I are so very proud of you. Each day you fight to see tomorrow’s sunrise. Each day you smile and show your love for life. Each day you hurt as your little broken heart vigorously works to bring you what you need. Each day your eyes glisten with the words only you can show. Your fight began so long ago, yet each day you win another round. Each day we pray for Jesus to hold you closer. Each day brings hope of more dreams to come true. My life has more meaning now because each day I love you more.
“Do you know how much I love you?”
Always by your side. I will never leave you – I’ll be with you to greet each day.
Love, Daddy


I don’t remember when I bought this little picture, but I remember it struck me then, as it does now. It is a calligraphy of a small child in his jammies, on his knees, hands folded in prayer. Below the picture is the following caption “Let the little children come unto me, fore such is the kingdom of Heaven……….Matthew 19:4. I love this passage. Our Lord tells us many times how precious are the little children in His eyes. It is a passion of mine to seek and find the path that will lead me to Him, as a child.

Again, I don’t remember writing it, but I discovered it when the print fell from the wall of Garrett and Jessi’s bedroom wall. When I picked it up, I read what I had written some 11 years ago. It seems clear to me, looking back through my memories, that the man who wrote those words was one whose heart was breaking but refused to give up and expected only a positive outcome. I would not have written something to my son unless I expected that some day when he grew up, he would find and read those words. I can only assume now because of the job I do, that I wrote it so in the event I was ever killed in the line of duty, he would one day know how much I loved him then as I do today. And I still refuse to give up.

As we celebrate his 11th birthday tomorrow we'll think back to those early days when a hurting father was praying for his little warrior cowboy to get better. And he did get better. Time and again. And though he's still fighting today, my thoughts are still the same. I lift him up to the Greatest of physicians and ask for His healing touch. There are still more dreams to come true, and being able to hug him on his 11th birthday is but one of them.

Celebrate this great day with us by thanking God we're able to wish our Garrett a happy birthday. Thanks for being here with us.

By the way, please notice the change in the name of Garrett's blog. Dynamis Ex Cardias ....this is the motto of the U.S.S. Dewey. The most heavily armed battleship type in our Navy, and the work "office" of our incredible neighbor's daughter Casey. Her shipmates have adopted Garrett and amazingly, their motto fits Garrett's Journey to a "T". The Will To Fight From The Heart - Dynamis Ex Cardias. Please keep these incredible warriors and defenders of our freedoms in your prayers.

As always, standing tall with you before the Cross that heals all hurts. Dynamis Ex Cardias,

JD

5 comments:

Vpatt said...

I am so glad to hear Garrett is feeling better. I hop eyou all enjoy your outing today! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARRETT!!!!!! Hugs Victoria

Steph said...

Happy birthday Garrett!

Christy said...

Looking so forward to the game tonight!!!!

LizAdelle said...

♪♫ Happy Birthday to You!♫♪ ♪♫ Happy Birthday to You!♫♪ ♪♫ Happy Birthday to Garrett!♫♪ ♪♫ Happy Birthday to You!♫♪

Have an awesome time at the Rockies game, Garrett & Jessi & Kathy & JD. My prayers are, as always, with you.

God Bless!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I was dialing my phone to call Garrett yesterday and got sidetracked my something at work... i am so sorry! I love you sooooo much Garrett and your present is on it's way!

-Becky