Friday, June 11, 2010

June 11, 2010

Garrett's check up went well today. His heart rate is down to 111, which is the lowest yet! He's got another infusion scheduled for a couple of weeks down the road. Depending on how he responds they will determine when to conduct the next biopsy. They told us a few weeks ago that it may be the end of the year before he can come home. However, today they said that if the biopsy turns out good, we might be home by the end of July!!! Keep up the prayers, please.

Had some nice responses already to finding a horse for Garrett. Jessi and I will start checking them out next week. She and I discussed the possibilities when we went to her first barrel race of the summer last night. She did great and didn't knock down a thing. Ol' Pepper, a heading horse she stole from me, didn't bobble and he's fresh. Good horses are so fun to have.

We met another tough little cowboy last night. During the lead-line event for little kids, a 4 year old boy got bucked off of his momma's barrel horse. Little guy hit the ground like a lawn dart and stuck without a bounce. He didn't move. It scared us all pretty bad. I was the first one to him and was administering first aid triage. When I asked him if he hurt, he said it was his back. I asked him if it "felt like a punch or somebody poked you with a pencil". He looked up at me and said "it feels like I fell off a horse". We all cracked up. This is one tough little guy. Never even one tear. I gave him a "Cowboy Up" bracelet because he dang sure earned it. All he wanted to do was get back on. These little guys continue to teach us if we listen.

It was nice to have Jessi enjoying herself again last night. This whole situation has been pretty tough on her. She is bound and determined to find Garrett a good, solid and gentle horse. One that isn't crippled or will die in a year. She's wise beyond her years.

Garrett's attitude continues to shine. He's been feeling pretty good, with all things in perspective. He just wants to heal up and come home. He's not looking forward to more hospital time, but said "daddy, it's what we have to do". He's such a good boy, but I'm biased.

Appreciate all the kindness and prayers. God has blessed me and my family immensely, and we'll stay strong to finish this fight.

God bless you all and have a great weekend.

JD
"Dynamis Ex Cardias"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Garrett! Happy Birthday 2 days late!

You are a special guy! And your family is awesome!

Today is the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus... I offered mass for you and for your family!

Hope to see you soon!!

Fr Paul

Anonymous said...

Hi, Garrett! I'm so glad to hear you're still fighting hard. I'm proud of you, and inspired by you. You remain in my prayers, as does your "best sister ever", Jessi, and your mom and dad.

I will come up to Denver to see you when I'm in town at the end of June and early July. Can't wait to see you!

God bless you,
Fr. Mike, OP