Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Biopsy - Sept. 28, 2010

Garrett had is surgery this morning for the long anticipated biopsy. It’s not something we’ve wanted, but certainly something we need. We need answers. After months of complicated bumps along the way, he’s overall been feeling so much better so that’s good news.

The doctors just came out and told us that Garrett’s heart isn’t any worse, so we're claiming victory. We were so desperately hoping they’d tell us it was perfect, but the pressures are about the same as they were last time. We just have to wait for the pathology results which will come back tomorrow and hope they're better.

I can’t lie and say I’m not just a little disappointed, but have to remember that this is going to be a long haul. We had hoped and prayed that his heart would show significant improvement, but we have to count our blessings and just be glad that it doesn’t show it getting worse. Basically the pressures of the chambers are still high. The doc told us his heart is a little “stiff”, but as sick as he was this spring, it’ll just take time. Looks like it’ll take at least that year to get all better.

Garrett was pretty upset this morning, but his great buddy Gavin was there holding his hand and helping him stay strong. Gavin is such a blessing to Garrett. But he was very scared, as can be understood. He just wants the doctors to come back and tell us that he’s all well again. In a rare moment of feeling a little down, he cried quietly and asked me “daddy, why can’t I be normal”. Another one of those questions I don’t have answers for. All I could tell him is that our Lord needs him to carry this pain to be a light for others. I truly believe this. I carried Garrett onto the operating table for the 26th time in his beautiful life. I held him and loved him until he fell asleep, as he quietly called out to his cousin Levi and invoked the name of Jesus. Over and over he kept repeating "I love the Lord".

I will be praying so hard tonight, though, that the biopsy of the tissue will show the rejection cells gone. I don’t know what else to say. The journey will continue, so we’ll lean on Jesus and remember one of Garrett’s favorite passages: “I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."

More to follow tomorrow. Be in His peace until then and remember our little cowboy warrior in your prayers, please.

JD

1 comment:

ahleese said...

Peace be with you all tonight.